Minimize Taxes, Maximize Wealth: Understanding Real Estate Tax Strategies
July 20, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 pm
Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2021
Time: 10:00am – 11:30am EDT
Earn: 1.5 NY CLE Credit (Attorneys)/ 1.5 NY CPE Credit (Accountants)
Cost: Free – Open to the public
Location: Online Webinar
Instructors: James T. Walther, Esq., LL.M. and David J. Feeser, Esq.
Register: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Don’t let the word “tax” scare you! Many investors focus on the returns achieved from their real estate investments while paying little attention to how taxes can affect their profitability when investments are sold.
This course is designed to provide an overview of several important real estate tax strategies, as well as the methods used to compute capital gain tax and depreciation recapture. Understanding taxes is one of the key methods to maximizing the profitability of real estate transactions.
Using a mixture of examples and anecdotes the instructors will talk about the following topics:
- Understanding the components that go into computing an adjusted basis and how gain tax is computed when a property is sold.
- An overview of depreciation methods – How depreciation affects the profitability of real estate investments; and how depreciation can create a gain tax when real estate is sold.
- Overview of IRC §1031 tax deferred exchanges.
- IRC §1033 involuntary conversion exchanges, what they mean to your clients, strategies to maximize their award, and how the rules are different from a 1031 exchange.
- Understanding installment note treatment and structured installment sales as an alternative to 1031 exchanges.
- How to accomplish investor goals through creative financing and replacement property acquisitions for IRC §1031 and §1033 exchanges.
- A brief overview on investing in Opportunity Zones – IRC §1400Z and §1400Z-2 a tax incentive based community development program added by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017.
Understanding these tax strategies will help you identify situations in which they may be beneficial to you and your clients.
NY Attorneys: This course has been approved in accordance with the requirements of the New York State Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 Credits in Professional Practice and is appropriate for both newly admitted and experienced attorneys.
NY CPAs: NY CPE credits are available under Specialized Knowledge & Applications. Legal 1031 Exchange Services, LLC New York Sponsor License # 002264.
NJ Attorneys: This course is currently pending approval for New Jersey CLE credits.
This course could also qualify for credits in reciprocity jurisdictions that do not require advance approval. Attendees are responsible for verifying reciprocity at their own accord.
In order to obtain continuing education credits:
Please be advised to be eligible to receive continuing education credits you will need to log into the webinar under your individual email address and remain in the WebEx meeting for the full duration of the webinar. Individuals log in and log out times will be verified. Participants will not earn course credit if they only attend by phone.
Also, you must complete the Attendance Affirmation and Evaluation Forms and submit them no later than three (3) days after the completion of the course. There will be slides with codes shown randomly throughout the presentation which you must list on the Attendance Affirmation Form. A link to the forms and class materials will be provided to you before the class.